Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Getting Started

I have been intrigued with this messy art for a long time, but my perfectionist tendencies have stopped me.  Because, of course, it must be perfect -- never mind that I've never done it -- it just has to look like the work done by those who've done it a long time.  (I know, I know, completely irrational, but there you go.)

Did some googling, found some YouTube videos, and stumbled onto Donna Downey's and Christy Tomlinson's blogs and art journals.  And there I stopped, soaking in the colors and textures and ideas, and the desire to create with paint and pencils and paper.
And I found Christy's workshops, and signed up for two of them,  SheArt, and the Art of Wild Abandonment taught by Junelle Jacobson and Christy.  And got more excited at the prospect of learning this!

       
In chatting with my buddy, Jodiann, I sort of confessed to my fascination with this art, and sent her some links, and finally asked if she wanted to play too?  She did!  And signed up for the workshops.   We are honestly having so much fun!

So, I went through my art supplies and outside of having crayons and markers and construction paper for my grand daughters to play with, art supplies didn't exist.  So I had to go shopping for supplies -- I mean breathless-with-excitement shopping for supplies!

Sketchbooks, Mod Pauge, gesso, ink stamp, some scrapbooking paper (because I've never done paper scrapping), watercolor pencils (love), and have ordered some other items recommended in class materials.  But I needed an art journal book, so off I went to our used book store.

So I followed some instructions that said to count 3 pages, those will be glued together with Mod Pauge or similar medium, and then rip out the next 3 pages.  Repeat through the book.

So here's how it went:
Here are the "clumps" of pages stuck together and left to dry.  Second one shows the pages after being gessoed.




The third one, well, let's just say it's a good thing that we can cover up boo-boos with paper and paint, LOL!



No comments:

Post a Comment